Shorts are any vertical video up to 60 seconds in duration. To learn how to upload or record a video (mobile only) on YouTube, check out these instructions.
Creating a Short with YouTube’s short-form video creation tool allows you to record one or more clips that add up to 15 seconds. While recording with the Shorts camera, use the progress bar at the top of your screen to see how many segments you’ve recorded, and the length of each.
To create a short video on YouTube:
- Sign in to YouTube on mobile.
- Tap Create .
- Tap Create a Short beta.
- To record a clip, hold the capture button or tap it to start recording and then again to stop.
- Tap Undo to remove the previous video clip you recorded or tap Redo to add it back.
- Tap NEXT to preview your video tap NEXT again to add details to your video.
- Add a title (max 100 characters) to your short video.
- Tap Select audience to choose whether or not your Short is made for kids. Learn more.
- Tap UPLOAD to finish.
You can create a short video using music from our official catalog of tracks or the original audio from many other Shorts on YouTube. Certain videos may be unavailable based on privacy settings or who has claimed copyright ownership of the video.
To Create a Short using another’s audio on YouTube:
- Sign in to the YouTube app on mobile.
- From an eligible video, tap .
- Tap USE THIS SOUND to Create a Short.
If you choose to use audio from others’ short videos, the owner may delete their original content at any time. When this happens, any derivative Shorts will be muted, set to unlisted, and scheduled for deletion in 30 days. Don’t worry – we’ll email you a reminder before your Short is deleted, so you can download a version that doesn’t include the audio.